Thursday, September 6, 2007

Why I Coach, Part III

Dear Alex,

I was reminded the other day of one of the reasons why I love coaching. My players make me laugh.

A few years ago, one of my players was running high school cross country. At practice one day, she came to an intersection, and there was a car on her left at a stop sign. The car stopped, my player started running across the street. The driver, however, looked to his left and turned right, slowly. He ran into my player.

That's not the funny part.

The girl was fine. The car barely hit her. But when she told the rest of the team, they couldn't stop laughing -- after seeing that she was okay, of course.

Okay, so about three weeks later in a game, a big girl on the other team steamrolled another one of my players. This girl is pretty flexible and rarely -- if ever -- goes down with an injury. So when she stayed down, I assumed she was in a fair amount of pain. When the ref waived me on the field, I jogged over to the player, still concerned about her.

When I got there, she was laughing. When I asked her what was so funny, she said, "Remember when Kristine got hit by that car? This was just like that."

We laughed all the way to the sideline.

When I think of more, I'll write
Thanks,
You know who

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's priceless. I'll admit one of the reasons I like coaching girls more than boys is they tend to have more fun on the sidelines, during practice, etc. The boys are always so intense.

Though the silliness can reach epic proportions and distract from things!