Sunday, July 8, 2007

Jeff Bradley, One of the Good Guys

Dear Steve,

I have to admit I'm a bit snobbish about what I read.

As a former soccer journalist -- back in the days when it was really hard to believe that people actually made a living as "soccer journalists" in this country -- I developed a odd distain for the couch journalism that emerged in the early 2000s. People could sit on their couch, watch games on TV and write as if they were experts. I never considered myself an expert. But in the U.S. there are so many people who openly admit to knowing nothing of the sport, someone with a bit of a background could easily be viewed as one. The TV-watchers believed it.

There were just a handful of soccer writers who I respected and considered good. Off the top of my head ... let's see. Jerry Trecker was one (please take special note of the name "Jerry", it is distinctly different than "Jamie.") Ridge Mahoney was another.

Jeff Bradley was/is right up there at the top. He is interesting, a good writer, does the legwork, loves the game and is as professional as any journalist in sports. So I was excited when I found out that I was able to add his columns to my blog. I wonder what else I'll discover about this blogging thing.

When I think of something else, I'll write it.

Thanks
You know who.

No comments: